UNITECYPRUSNOW IS A MULTI-COMMUNAL GRASSROOTS INITIATIVE PROMOTING ACTIONS IN SUPPORT OF PEACE AND THE REUNIFICATION OF THE ISLAND THROUGH A NEGOTIATED SETTLEMENT OF THE CYPRUS PROBLEM
Our vision is a united Cyprus for all Cypriots.
To connect Cypriots by seeking the truth, building empathy, respecting diversity, reinforcing solidarity and promoting a joint future.
Fields of operation
1. Seeking the Truth:
Providing access to facts.
Deconstructing historical rhetoric and myths that breed division, hatred, and enmity among Cypriots.
2. Building Empathy:
Acknowledgement and apology.
Promoting the common Cypriot past and identity.
Creating common spaces and actions.
Overcoming misperceptions and mistrust.
Advocating reform in the education systems on both sides to remove nationalist and racist elements.
3. Respecting Diversity:
Organizing cultural, artistic, and social activities that promote peace, acceptance, and coexistence.
Promoting the idea: “Think globally act locally”.
4. Reinforcing Solidarity:
Taking positive action.
Cooperating with organizations with similar principles and values.
Standing up for each other.
5. Promoting a joint future:
Supporting a negotiated settlement.
Taking action against obstacles that prevent interaction, cooperation and interdependence.
Taking political action at all levels, locally and internationally.
Diversity: UCN respects and advocates a multicultural Cyprus.
Trust: Cypriots should defend each others’ rights and well-being.
- Participatory democracy: Cypriots should be empowered in deciding their own future.
- Human Rights: Everybody’s human rights are equally important.
- Equality: All of the people of Cyprus should be equal before the law.
- Positive peace: The absence of war is not peace. It is the ground on which peace should be built.
- Federalism: A federal Cyprus is the best and most viable solution to overcome the division of the island; a federal Cyprus will be stronger, safer and more prosperous.
- Compromise: Mutual compromises for a better future are necessary and honourable.
- Cooperation: UCN supports cooperation between Cypriots, particularly in economic, cultural, social, and educational matters.
- Accountability: Every individual, holding office or not, is bound to act responsibly for the well-being of all Cypriots.
- Environmental sustainability: UCN supports an environmentally sustainable Cyprus.
Values and Ethics
Independence: UCN is a non-partisan citizens’ initiative and is free from any political affiliation.
Transparency: UCN is transparent in its views, decisions and actions.
- Accountability: UCN is accountable to all Cypriots.
- Participation: UCN seeks the broadest possible participation in its decisions and actions.
- Reliability: UCN acts upon facts.
- Relevance: UCN acts in a timely manner and within the relevant context.
- Positive action: UCN does not tolerate hate speech, discrimination, hate crimes, corruption or abuse.
- Respect: UCN respects all views insofar as they do not include discrimination, prejudices, hate speech, aggression, manipulation, disinformation or threat.
- Cooperation: UCN seeks cooperation with organizations and groups that are in line with its principles and values.
- Humility: UCN does not seek privilege - it is not above the people it represents. UCN is the people.
In order to reach its vision through the implementation of its mission, UCN lobbies, campaigns, and takes various forms of direct action to create awareness, empowerment and mobilization among Cypriots in light of its guiding principles and values.